Current volunteer opportunities at FoodBank South Africa for individuals and groups are many and varied. Would you be willing to .... ?
- work on the FoodBank production line defacing and relabelling donated food, and making up food parcels ready for distribution to our agencies. Our food distribution warehouses (aka foodbanks) are located in Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg and Port Elizabeth.
- help us with our fund-raising initiatives and events, including promotion of our Fill the Gap Club.
- organise your own fundraiser ...with all proceeds going to FoodBank SA, of course - click here for ideas
- help us co-ordinate our community programmes, such as Lunch Buddies.
- contribute to our awareness campaigns by writing stories, taking video and photographs and any other creative ways of getting our message across.
- help us with general and specialized office administration and operational tasks.
Foodbank South Africa welcomes volunteers of all ages, but we do need to know you're coming, so please make arrangements with us in advance. Volunteers under the age of 16 should be accompanied by at least one adult and their legal guardian must sign an indemnity form on their behalf, before any volunteer work is undertaken. School groups or other groups of children below the age of 16 wishing to volunteer at our foodbanks must be accompanied by at least one teacher or adult. It is recommended that there is at least one adult supervisor for every 8 children.
Volunteers under the age of 16 are prohibited from partaking in any warehouse activities involving demanding physical activity, for example loading trucks and heavy lifting. These younger volunteers are assigned to defacing and relabelling donated food, and making up food parcels ready for distribution to our agencies, or to light office work.
Even if you are not based in South Africa, let us know if you're interested in volunteering, and we can explore possibilities together.
In your email, please indicate how and where you would prefer to volunteer, your time availability, and any special skills you have.